With an impressive trajectory that began in the U.S.A.F., Ed Kellogg has always been drawn to the discipline and precision that come with firearms training. His rich experiences from serving as a Security Specialist to pioneering firearms training programs at the National Security Agency have equipped him with a unique perspective that he brings to every training session.
Professional Experience & Milestones:
- Dedicated over three decades to instructing a diverse range of individuals including police officers, special agents, military personnel, and civilians.
- Recognized for developing a transformative Remedial Firearms Training Program for both semi-auto pistol and rifle.
- Spearheaded the integration of SIRT pistols into the NSA firearms training and also championed the Defensive Tactics Training Program and Simmunitions Training Program for the agency.
- Esteemed for his position as the Subject Matter Expert and Technical Director of firearms training for the NSA.
- Shared his expertise at multiple International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors (IALEFI) Annual Training Conferences from 2014 to 2023.
Certifications & Specialized Training:
Ed’s pursuit of knowledge and perfection in his field is evident from a plethora of certifications including but not limited to:
- NRA Pistol Instructor, Delaware Certified Concealed Carry Instructor, and Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor.
- ALERRT Civilian Response to Active Shooter Events Instructor and ALERRT Active Shooter Instructor.
- Certified by FLETC in areas like firearms instruction, impact weapons, and Reactive Shooting Instructor Training Program.
- Armorer certifications spanning brands like S&W M&P Pistol, Glock, LWRC M6, Springfield 1911, and Beretta.
- Proud alumni of IALEFI Master Instructor Development Program, Firearms Instructor Refresher Training, and Taser Training Academy.
Teaching Philosophy & Approach:
Ed believes that practical experience — “been there, done that” — is the best educator. His teaching emphasizes the need for preparing students for real-life scenarios. Passionate about remedial training, Ed asserts that every student deserves the chance to succeed, and he’s seen the powerful transformation that comes with the right guidance.
Beyond the Range:
When he’s not imparting wisdom about firearms, you might find Ed capturing the world through his camera lens, kayaking through serene waters, or off-roading for some adrenaline-pumping fun.
Two quotes resonate deeply with Ed’s journey: “The only person you should strive to be better than is the person you were yesterday” and “The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching.”
To stay updated in the dynamic world of firearms training, Ed avidly reads articles from renowned instructors and explores global training methods.
IALEFI & Networking:
Having been a dedicated member since his first IALEFI ATC in San Diego in the late ’90s, Ed is a testament to the caliber and commitment that IALEFI stands for. Networking and collaboration, coupled with the mentorship of individuals like Mike Dunlap, have been pivotal in shaping Ed’s approach and philosophy.
Advice for Aspirants:
For those looking to venture into the realm of firearms instruction, Ed’s advice is succinct: “Never give up; keep trying. You have valuable insights that many are seeking.”
Ed’s competitive spirit doesn’t end at the range; he’s also competed in the World Law Enforcement games in Virginia!
Connect with Ed:
For insights, training sessions, or discussions around firearms, Ed Kellogg invites you to connect and engage.